Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Depressing Campaign

So far this campaign has been really depressing to me.  Either, as I have matured, I have become more cognizant of how campaigns are run, or President Obama's campaign has been unimaginably cynical.  Here's a list of campaign developments that I think Democrats should be ashamed of.

  1. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid claiming via anonymous source, with no evidence whatsoever, that Governor Romney had paid no taxes for the past 10 years.
  2. Stephanie Cutter insinuating that Romney is a felon.
  3. Ad insinuating that Governor Romney was responsible for a woman dying from cancer.
  4. Democrats claiming that Republicans are conducting a war against women.
As I see it, the problem is two-fold.  First it's depressing to me, that these arguments succeed at all.  To do that, voters must be much more sensitive to this demagoguery than I had ever thought before, much more credulous.  Secondly, the Obama campaign is much more eager to exploit the public's credulity than I expected.  This is not the sort of high-minded campaign Obama promised.  He is not a new type of politician.  It's depressing, too, that he still has many supporters that don't realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment