Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Questions I Wish the Media Would Ask

"President Obama, in their latest proposal the Republicans have indicated that they're willing to increase revenues by closing loopholes.  I realize that you don't think their math checks out, but if they offered $1.6T by closing loopholes that affected only the rich, would you take it?"

This is a hypothetical question such as that asked of Republicans "Would you support a deficit deal overwhelmingly weighted towards spending cuts even if it had some revenue increases?" which Democrats/Liberals love to throw around.

The question is meant to reveal whether President Obama cares about revenues or cares about tax rates.  For the life of me, I can't figure out why he is so adamantly in favor of higher tax rates (as opposed to just increased tax revenues).  Which he seems to be. "Although Mr. Obama [said] a deal is not possible without an increase to the tax rate for those making over $250,000."

Why?

If it's just because he doesn't think it's possible to extract that much money without raising tax rates on the wealthy, then I don't understand his strategy, he could just say, I want $1.6T in revenues and I don't care how you get it (as long as it comes from people making more than $250,000).  Why would he need to add another stipulation?

Anybody have an idea?

No comments:

Post a Comment